Safety Health & Environmental Manager – Nutrien Ag Solutions (Fairbury, NE, US)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien Ag Solutions is the retail division of Nutrien™, the largest crop inputs company in the world. As part of our collective mission of Feeding the Future, Nutrien Ag Solutions provides full-acre solutions through our trusted crop consultants at more than 2,000 locations in North America, South America, Europe and Australia. For more than 150 years, we have been helping growers achieve the highest yields with a wide selection of products, including our proprietary brands: Loveland Products, Inc.; Proven®Seed and Dyna-Gro®Seed; as well as financial, custom application and precision ag services.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien Ag Solutions will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Loveland Products, Inc. (LPI) is a manufacturer and marketer of products for agricultural and professional non-crop industries. Its product line offers a complete line of high performance input products. The LPI portfolio of seed treatments, plant nutrition, fertilizer, adjuvant and crop protection products are second to none. With net sales of over $800 million, the company has a number of powerful and trusted brands. North America represents over 94% of total sales with extensive distribution through Nutrien. The organization is known to cultivate an innovative, entrepreneurial, demanding, and marketing-driven culture. In addition to the extensive North American distribution network, Loveland Products has supply agreements in place with several major distributors globally.
Fairbury’s SH&E manager administers all aspects of site safety, health and environmental performances. This position implements policies and practices to exceed company, local, state, and federal environmental, health and safety expectations through employee involvement and continuous improvement. While reporting to Fairbury’s plant manager, this position establishes strong working partnerships with Front Line Leaders, Operations, LPI Safety and Health Manager, other plant SH&E managers, and Nutrien’s Director of SH&E Security.
What you will do:
This role is a key leader in establishing and driving the continual improvement of the safety culture at the site. You will partner with the site leader and the LPI Safety and Health Manager to:
- Assess the current state of the culture
- Participate in the development of a cultural improvement plan
- And ultimately help drive the execution of the plan with a goal of achieving excellence in SH&E
Implementation of regulatory compliance and company policies
- Accountable for compliance with all applicable regulatory, plant and corporate SH&E and related policies and procedures
- Supports management/supervision to ensure all site associates understand and comply with all applicable regulatory, plant and corporate SH&E and related policies and procedures
- Coordinate internal audits as required to ensure the safety management system is being adequately followed by both Management and the work force
- Leads the plant in preparing for and compliance with all Corporate Safety Audit requirements
- Ensures that the company personnel are adequately trained with respect to Safety, Health and Security matters
- Establish safety, health and environmental Key Performance Indicators for the facility and develop programs to achieve
- Ensure timely notification is made to regulatory agencies and company management for incidents
- Leads communication on learning from internal and/or external incident investigations and ensure integration of the new learning
- Monitor facilities for unsafe work practices and unsafe work conditions and support Near Miss Reporting at facilities
- Experience in environmental regulatory programs including:
- TRI reporting
- TSCA inventory and reporting
- Ensure compliance with all Federal, State and local environmental regulations including, but not limited to: Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, EPCRA and CERCLA, and waste characterization and RCRA
- Responsible for NPDES permits
- Submittal of report requirements for TRI, TSCA inventory, and SARA Tier II
- Advise management of pending safety and environmental regulations and their impact upon the manufacturing operations
- Support chemical plant operations by ensuring existing environmental permit renewals and modifications necessary for plant operations and for new plant expansions are on-time and in-full
- Partner with Quality Manager to ensure sampling and analyses for: hygiene, air quality; surface water, groundwater, and wastewater quality; and solid & hazardous waste
- Accountable for Emergency Response functions, roles and responsibilities in accordance with site emergency response plan
- Leads and maintains an integrated safety management system from Corporate EHS and Security, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidelines
Process Safety Management
- Responsible for compliance in all aspects of the Safety, Health, and Security regulations as well as consulting with the plant engineer on Process Safety Management (OSHA) at the site
- Interacts with the Director of SH&E and Security, Regional SH&E and Security Manager, Plant Manager and the site management team
What you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in safety, environmental science or related field preferred
- Professional certification (in safety or environmental field) preferred; any applicant hired will be expected to obtain a Professional Certification in Safety
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations including (but not limited) to OSHA, PSM, EPA, RMP, DHS, State Dept. of Agriculture, and State environmental; minimum of 5 years work experience
- Must be able to work outdoors in a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions
- Must be able to be certified by a physician to wear a respirator and wear personal protective equipment
- Must be able to operate in a drug-free workplace and possess a US driver’s license
- Must be self–motivated and disciplined requiring little to no direct supervision, ability to concurrently deal with multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien Ag Solutions is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check, and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter