Safety Manager-Alpaugh, CA
Why work at Nutrien Ag Solutions? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien Ag Solutions. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien Ag Solutions offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien Ag Solutions is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
As a member of the site leadership team in a manufacturing environment, the Safety Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and improvement of the plant safety programs. This includes ensuring that employees comply with the programs and that safety performance results are tracked and reported to plant and Corporate Management.
- Accountable for safety program compliance with all applicable plant, Corporate and regulatory policies and procedures.
- Accountable for Emergency Response functions, roles and responsibilities in accordance with the site emergency response plan.
- Establish Safety Key Performance Indicators for the facility and develop programs to achieve them.
- Support management/supervision to ensure all site employees understand and comply with all applicable regulatory, plant and Corporate Safety policies and procedures.
- Responsible for compliance with all aspects of the Safety regulations as well as consulting with management/engineering on Process Safety Management (PSM) at the facility.
- Lead and maintains an integrated safety management system from Corporate Safety policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidelines.
- Interact with the Director of EHS and Security, Regional EHS and Security Manager, Plant Manager and other site managers.
- Manage, improve and report on company hazard recognition program and risk mitigation programs such as Near Miss Reporting, W.H.A.T. Card, and Job Task Observation
- Ensure that site personnel are adequately trained with respect to applicable safety matters.
- Coordinate internal audits as required to ensure the safety management system is being adequately followed by both management and the work force. Leads the plant in preparing for and compliance with all Corporate Safety Audit requirements.
- Lead communication on learnings from internal and/or external incident investigations and ensures integration of new learnings.
- Chair the Safety Committee.
- Responsible for all safety-related permit programs such as confined space, hot work, elevated work and line breaking.
- Promote a team relationship within the site operations team.
- Perform such other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Coordinate plant IH monitoring.
- BS in Safety or Industrial Hygiene, or 5-years related experience in Safety Management in a chemical and / or fertilizer manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of OSHA, including PSM, and State safety regulations, standards and permit requirements.
- Strong leadership, managerial, technical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- The ability to operate a computer, specifically the MS Office suite of programs, Cad programs, ESS Compliance Suite.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently and manage time well.
- ASP or CSP certification preferred.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Good manual dexterity
- Able to climb stairs and ladders
- Must be physically and medically capable of wearing a respirator.
- Good speech, vision and hearing
- Able to occasionally lift up to 70 lbs.
- Able to work in an office environment
- Able to work in a cold, hot, dusty, humid and noisy chemical manufacturing environment while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE)
Nutrien Ag Solutions, a Nutrien Company, is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien Ag Solution policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran