Construction Manager, Midwest US
Why work at Nutrien Ag Solutions? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien Ag Solutions. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien Ag Solutions offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien Ag Solutions is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Job Summary: Acting as Owner’s Representative, coordinate activities concerned with the new construction and renovation of numerous agricultural retail sites in the Midwestern US. Including environmental compliance, buildings, bulk fertilizer storage and handling as well as office and site improvements. Participate with general managers in the conceptual development of construction projects and equipment improvements. Perform all project management duties associated with administering contracts with general contractors, subcontractors, vendors, design consultants, etc. This position reports to the Director of Construction. Required travel 50-75%.
Construction Manager - Midwest, US - Ideally based in Iowa, Missouri or Nebraska
- Develop scopes of work and coordinate with the Purchasing Manager in the preparation of Requests for Proposal. Review and analyze proposals.
- Review plans and specifications for accuracy and completeness. Offer guidance regarding cost, constructability and integrity of materials, methods and systems. Recommend value engineering options.
- Negotiate with contractors, consultants, vendors and suppliers to obtain the most complete scope of work at the best price and schedule. Present recommendations regarding award of work to senior management and ownership.
- Review RFIs, submittals, change order requests and the like. Review and approve payment applications and invoices. Maintain all project files in paper and electronic form.
- Review, interpret and analyze critical path construction schedules.
- Perform construction monitoring to determine compliance with plans, specifications, manufacturer requirements, industry standards, laws and regulations.
- Attend and participate in/lead Construction Progress Meetings, Design Coordination Meetings, Payment Application Meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships among co-workers, partners, clients, contractors, consultants, municipal officials, etc.
- Perform other tasks as assigned. From time-to-time support other operating groups and/or managers within the organization for special projects or special needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the new construction and renovation of agriculture related buildings and storage systems. Similar knowledge regarding Environmental, Health and Safety is a plus.
- Familiar with design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of coordinated construction documents and related design work (conceptual design, BIM/Revit, etc). Able to coordinate the work of design teams throughout the design and construction administration processes.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering and technology related to the design and construction of bulk fertilizer buildings and storage bins.
- Familiar with legal, economic and accounting principles and practices utilized in construction.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and strategies for the protection of workers, the general public, materials and structures during construction.
- Work effectively with limited supervision.
- Able to effectively manage time and multi-task. Establish long-range goals and the strategies and actions to achieve them.
- Required: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the agriculture fertilizer market. Complete understanding of the AG Fertilizer market, applications, uses, storage and handling.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with a general contractor or a developer managing new “Turn Key” construction projects.
- Preferred four-year College Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related field.
- Preferred Metal Building Systems background and experience.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects of various size and scope.
- Fluently speak, read and write in the English language. Comprehensive knowledge of the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Capable of analyzing and organizing information and making presentations of same to senior management and ownership.
- An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Able to travel over night when required.
Nutrien Ag Solutions, a Nutrien Company, is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien Ag Solution policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran