Forage Seed Plant Assistant Manager, Carrot River, SK
Why work at Nutrien Ag Solutions? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien Ag Solutions. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien Ag Solutions offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien Ag Solutions is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position is accountable for obtaining business results through developing, maintaining and expanding the processes and procedures of the forage seed plant facility as well as operational support in relation to the marketing of forage and mustard seed products. The purpose of this role is to assist the Seed Plant Manager in all aspects of the cleaning / logistics operations, supervision and management of staff, and safety components of the business.
- Manages the seed plant facility within the parameters of the seed division strategy to ensure financial and operating targets are met and/or exceeded yet maintains balance with third party customer and retail division needs and service objectives
- Establishes, maintains and conducts ongoing analysis of processes and procedures in order to identify and act upon trends, internal and external customer requirements and potential business opportunities
- Demonstrates high degree of knowledge of seed quality in order to provide accurate and timely information/advice to seed plant manager and other internal stakeholders
- Analyzes all quality results of seed and reports to seed plant manager and other seed division managers as well as makes recommendation of final outcome of seed
- Works closely with plant manager and product line managers in developing cleaning, processing, shipping and inventory return schedules
- In conjunction with Plant Manager, Product line manager and Production team investigates requirements and completes documentation for the importation and export of seed products
- Demonstrates talent for bargaining and negotiating while ensuring all processing and sales practices are congruent with seed regulations, corporate policy, image and direction and respect confidentiality of both company and third party business
- Analyzes current and future processing trends and service needs and develops and implements strategies and actions to create opportunities including asset ROI and utilization
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with current and potential future customers based on providing high quality products and services with which the company can profitably do business
- Supervises the checking of merchandise received for quality and quantity and makes the necessary notations on the weigh bills
- Organizes and supervises work activities of staff in cleaning, shipping, receiving, storing, assembling, distributing and return of all seed products
- Responsible for the daily management and supervision of branch staff which includes the scheduling of hours of work
- Assists the Plant Manager in the implementing all aspects of human resource management, including performance management (which involves discipline and work assessments), coaching, and making recommendations for hiring and discharging
- Maintains procedures for the efficient and safe warehousing of all merchandise received with regard to space, accessibility and positioning stock to prevent losses
- Keeps the manager informed of levels of existing stock and prepares orders for additional supplies within guidelines as required effectively managing inventory and assets
- Reviews customer accounts to ensure accurate payments are received for third party processing
- Supervises and participates in housekeeping programs, which promote safe working conditions and provide neat, clean appearance
- Complies and enforces all Nutrien Ag Solutions and Industry regulatory and EH&S standards at all times
- Provides customers service to internal & external customers
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of a positive image program
- Coordinates branch staff tasks under the direction of the seed plant manager
- Participates in trade shows and planning meetings with the seed division, third party customers and retail facilities
- Performs other related duties as required
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and exercise sound judgment in decision making
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop people
- Demonstrated ability to manager within the terms of the human resources policies (and within the collective agreement where applicable)
- Good persuasive and motivational skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in agri-business seed and/or other related customer service function, a minimum of 2 years of which involved agri-business seed processing and service
- Successful completion of Grade 12 with a Certificate in Agriculture Program, Agri-Business Certificate or equivalent post-secondary education preferred
- Must possess a minimum Class 5 driver’s license
- Solid understanding of the agricultural seed business/commercial seed treating business
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the Canadian Seed Institute and Canadian Seeds Act and Regulations
- Basic knowledge and understanding of ISO and AWSA requirements and procedures
- Required knowledge/understanding of branch operation and equipment
- Understanding of the retail division requirement and timelines for seed
Nutrien Ag Solutions is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. You will need the ability to complete a Criminal Background Check, Drug & Alcohol Testing, and Driving Record Abstract as required by Nutrien Ag Solutions' policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.